Text Messaging ?!@W(#%(%))#(($))#>#$)%(

I LOVE TECHNOLOGY! Anyone who knows me, knows I'm a computer geek. I love anything that uses the latest technology- EXCEPT teenagers with cell phones. I know I'm going to make some enemies today but I can't help it.

For the past 2-3 days, I've been around several teenagers with phones and it's like you have to compete for their attention. Every 10 -20 seconds, they are looking down at their phone receiving a message or they are typing one in.

I was a Perkins today for lunch and a mom and dad and teenage daughter were eating at a table next to us. The teenage girl did not say more than 10 words to her parents the entire 1-1/2 hours that we were there. She was glued to her phone. But what is so funny is that she kept the phone down on her lap, like a little under the table - I guess she didn't want her parents to be able to read her conversation.

I am making a public promise right here and now and please get on me -"big time" if I fail at this promise. I will not let Olivia "hang" on a cell phone. She may have one (eventually) but I won't let her use it "at will". Whatever happened to the phone being used for "emergencies only" for kids? Now, I know kids that are in 5th grade with cell phones. Come on people!

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but it has been on my mind so I shared it with you.

Comments

thems teens is crazy. katelyn texts like she can't live without her phone. if i actually had friends i too would text. the ppl i text are my mom my dad and katelyn and we're usually all in the same house when i do.
Anonymous said…
Jess texts me love messages every once in a while. I share because I care!
couldB ne1ofus said…
Funny you should mention this! I was just talking about this yesterday at the doctors office with a nurse.! I said whatever happened in the days before cell phones? How in the world did we ever talk to anyone? We used a pay phone for emergencies and a home phone for long conversations. Before the days of caller ID and call waiting (my mom only wishes she would have had those nice options while I hung on the phone for 3 hours talking about nothing). I'm afraid this generation coming up is not going to know how to PERSONALLY communicate with anyone. I think we will find that person to person, face to face is going to be compromised because the kids are not going to learn to communicate hands on! Another down side for "technology". I got a cell phone 8 years ago for "emergency" purposes. In those 8 years I've never had to use it for emergency purposes unless you consider running out of milk, grab a gallon on the way home an emergency! The sad thing is, is that I see adults behaving the same way. Talking on the cell when they should be spending precious time with the person they're with! Business can be handled on a landline. Make it short and brief, get to the point!

Popular posts from this blog

Bedroom Progress!

Monk is Popular!